Attending places of worship
PLEASE NOTE: the rules on places of worship differ around the UK, and each Church will need a make a decision on re-opening depending on instructions from the ruling hierarch, as well as the Church’s risk assessment and insurance policies. Some Churches may open with restrictions on number of worshippers, some may not open, some may continue with broadcasts of services. Many will require worshippers to use face coverings and most will require social distancing. You should check before attending any Church.
During this difficult time, we have put together a list of resources to help provide spiritual nourishment. If you have further suggestions, send them to OFSJBDirectory@gmail.com.
Summer series on monasteries
- 30 July: Holy Dormition St Nicholas St Basil, Ukraine
- 6 August: Annunciation monastery, Ormylia, Greece
- 13 August: Putna monastery, Romania
- 20 August: Optina monastery, Russia
- 27 August: Transfiguration monastery, Ellwood City, Pennsylvania, USA
- 3 September: monastic revival in Lebanon
Find out more about these wonderful holy places and register on our dedicated page
Live streamed services
- Bath, Parish of St John of Kronstadt – links to YouTube services provided via parish Facebook page.
- Cambridge, Parish of St Ephraim – Zoom link provided on request.
- Exeter, Parish of the Holy Prophet Elias – services on Facebook.
- Gatten, Monastery of St Antony and St Cuthbert – services on YouTube.
- Hatfield, Parish of the Twelve Apostles – services on website, or download app.
- London, Cathedral of Apostle Andrew Kentish Town – services on Facebook and YouTube.
- London, Cathedral of Dormition and All Saints South Kensington – services on Facebook.
- London, Cathedral of Dormition and the Holy Royal Martyrs Chiswick – services on Facebook.
- London, Parish of St Demetrios – services on Facebook.
- London, Parish of St Nectarios – services and study on Facebook.
- Manchester, Parish of St Aidan – services on Facebook.
- Oxford, Parish of St Nicholas – audio link on website, video live stream via Facebook.
- Plymouth, Parish of St Demetrios and St Nikitas – services on Facebook.
- Shrewsbury, Parish of the Holy Fathers of Nicaea – audio link on parish website, video live stream via YouTube.
Talks and sermons
- Gatten, Monastery of St Antony and St Cuthbert – YouTube channel with regular Bible study and sermons with Archimandrite Philip.
- Isle of Mull, Monastery of All Celtic Saints – YouTube Channel
- London, spiritual talks by Bishop Irenei – scheduled on Facebook or Zoom, details on Diocesan website website.
Other useful links and information
- Creation Care: Christian Responsibility Course – a course created by the group Pan-Orthodox Concern for Animals which can be followed at home
- AGES Initiatives – service texts in Greek and English, including music in Byzantine and western notation.
- Institute of Orthodox Christian Studies – lockdown conversations.
- Sunday School materials ages 6-13 (fee payable) – new material being introduced weekly in US.
- OFSJB Youth Festival 7-9 May – Zoom conference recordings on Google Drive.
- Institute of Orthodox Christian Studies, conversation days on ‘Faith and Film’ – 5 June, 19 June, 3 July.
- International Society for Orthodox Church Music, 2020 Symposium, 11-13 June – Zoom conference. Registration now closed, some sessions publicly available with details online.
Honour the physician with the honour due him, and also according to your need of him, for the Lord created him. Healing comes from the Most High, and he will receive a gift from the king. The physician’s skill will lift up his head, and he shall be admired in the presence of the great.
Wisdom of Sirach 38:1-3
Live streamed service, Pascha 2020